Sunday, May 23, 2021

1980 "Caverns of Doom" Dragon miniature Restoration

 

I recently purchased a 1980 Dragon mini that is from the "Caverns of Doom" board game/Dungeon crawl boxset. 

My best friend owned that box set...that dungeon map was the setting for my very 1st D&D adventure. Years later, when he had lost interest in the game, said friend gifted me that dungeon & many of the minis from that box set. Except...the dragon wasn't part of the deal!

I'd been kicking around the idea of picking one up recently...just had to keep an eye on Ebay and see what came along. Couple of weeks ago one came up for sale...& I pulled the trigger. This is the condition the old boy showed up in...




Very similar to how my friend had painted his...except my buddy did his in all red...both looked like they just dipped the mini in a can of paint! The original owner of this mini probably got his at a young age, too.

So...I decided to repaint this dragon as a red dragon. Using the art of Dave Sutherland as my inspiration. Both the Monster Manual cover & the box cover of the Holmes Basic boxset.

Here's the step by step process...





 I did kinda like this guy as a black dragon! Maybe I'll buy another one just to paint it differently!







A dark wash & some dry brush highlighting later...

I then decided to give this old boy the royal treatment...after 40+ years as a mono-color mini he was getting the major upgrade! He needed a base to really make him seem regal! It woud be my 1st attempt at creating a "dragon horde" base! I'm happy with the results.




A very fun project! Glad I was able to restore this guy to his proper regal state! I remember the fun we had playing D&D with the minis from "Caverns of Doom". Would have never have guessed that all these years later I'd be enjoying them again!

EXCELSIOR! 
A

No comments:

Post a Comment