Sunday, August 18, 2024

Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 1979 DM Screen: Teenage wish list Fulfilled


 

Back in the early 80's we wanted every TSR product we could get our hands on. High on that list was the DM Screen.

If you're a "gen-X" kid like me you remember the halcyon days of TSR. New D&D products appearing at the local store on a regular basis.

I grew up in a small town...rural even. We had to head to the larger small town to find D&D stuff. Even then...it was a crap shoot.

You'd better have the money on you or the new product might be gone...never to be seen again!

We'll...we all lusted after a DM Screen. Great art work by Dave Trampier & all.

Well...in my "Middle Age"...I've been lucky enough to aquire a couple of copies.

The 1st is an actual 1st print 1979 DM screen. It's in mint condition...and I paid a pretty penny for it.






4 panel cardboard. Front side (with he art work) is laminated, the inside is not. Have to love the Player's Handbook art. The other...with the Dragon, Lizardmen, and adventurers is my absolute favorite work by Trampier.

The 2nd DM screen is own is a 5th printing from 1981.

This edition adds the cover art by Erol Otus. I was able to identify this as a "5th printing" with the help of the great "The Acaeum" website. Check out Acaeum.com is you have any D&D items you need to identify or your wondering their worth.





 The 5th printing is in good shape. No where as clean, or pristine, as the 1st printing. Yellowing of pages, bends & folds. Still...a nice copy to have!
My inner teenager is always jazzed to look upon this gems. Takes me back to great times discovering the game with friends.
I'll leave you with a bonus...here's a better look at the covers of the 1st print...with the art in perfect condition! Excelsior!!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment