Thursday, September 14, 2023

1979 Dungeons and Dragons Basic box set 4th printing Estate Sale find!!

 And a fine late summer day it is! Back after a lengthy hiatus...ready for some D&D fun? Here goes...

I noticed (a couple days ago) that an nearby estate sale had the Holmes Basic box set for sale. I hemmed and hawed over going. "Too early. Too much to do. Don't want to stand in line." The usual excuses.

I did finally decide to "give it a go". Showed up just before the doors opened. I kept telling myself "...if there's too big a line I'm not waiting'. Line was small. 10:00am and the doors opened. I jumped from my truck & made my way in.

I had kind of memorized what the surrounding shelves had on them. Didn't see it at first. Looked on the other side of the room. Then I spied it. The estate sale folks had put another box on top of it! My luck! A couple of other people were looking for it too. I swooped in and grabbed my prize. I could hear somebody asking a worker "Hey. Where's that D&D game at?"

I could tell right away this was one of those "American Pickers" moments. Box was really clean. Bright vibrant colors. Paid the $10 asking price!!

Jumped back in my truck to open it & really see what I had stumbled upon!



I raced back home to get to my computer. With the help of the brilliant "Acaeum.com" I was able to determine that it is a 4th printing from 1979. Picture on the back of the box shows the contents which include the original basic dice.
This has the dice alright. Still in the unopened bag!!



This happened to be a lucky day for me. Did feel kind of bad for the guys who were also looking for this, but I've been on that end plenty of times myself. Glad I wasn't able to talk myself out of going this morning!


2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks! I was A.) So surprised it was still there and B.) bowled over how good of shape its in! The unopened dice just blew my mind!

      Delete