Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Quarantine Mini Painting Project: 1985 Grenadier LOTR Fellowship miniatures

Greetings fellow shut-ins! Need to pass a few idle moments? Check out my latest mini painting adventure!
Having been furloughed from work...I've got some time on my hands.Thought I'd get down to painting these Grenadier 1985 LOTRs "Fellowship" minis!

Well preserved vintage treasure right here! I'll do quick post on each figure...however long it takes me to complete the set. Never know when the job is going to start back up...
Anywhoo...these minis were based upon the 1978 Ralph Bakshi film LOTR

....loosely I'd say, since many of the figures look nothing like the characters in the film!
Starting with Boromir ...

Nice detail...Sword in hand, blowing the Horn of Gondor...
I wanted to paint these minis as they appeared in the 1978 film...or some representation of the film. Thus Boromir isn't wearing pants...he had a loincloth covering in the film. Tried to stay close to the colors (Dark Brown, Brown, Burnt Red) he was sporting. And I went as far as to fashion horns for his Helm...just to try to stay a bit closer to the film representation of Boromir!
Finished mini...just need to clear-coat him & he'll be completed!

A rugged outdoor base to compliment Boromir was the final touch. Thought I'd start with the tragic Hero of Gondor...***As a side note...I always felt (and still do) that Sean Bean would have made a better Aragorn in the 2000s Peter Jackson LOTR films. He was the more mature/rugged version of Aragorn that Tolkien envisioned. The 1978 film went as far as to make Aragorn look Native American! Really a rugged looking character!***
And as a "sneak peek" to the next mini...here's Legolas!
Stay safe out there!
Excelsior!

No comments:

Post a Comment